Testosterone Enanthateis available with the brand name Virtusteron. Virtusteron is a derivative of the primary endogenous androgen testosterone. It is an oil-based injectable steroid which is administered intramuscularly and is available in 250mg dosage in the market. Virtusteron is one of the oldest and most commonly used anabolic steroids. It is the first long ester testosterone used which is a slow acting release form of injection and lasts for a longer period of time, thereby cutting down on the number of injections to be received. Virtusteron is the most widely used testosterones for the treatment of hypogonadism and various other disorders that are associated with androgem deficiency.
Virtusteron increases the muscular strength and power within 6 to 10 weeks of administration. Virtusteron works by replacing or supplementing the testosterone in men suffering from the reduced production of testosterone in the body. Testosterone is a male sex hormone which plays an important role in the body of men. It regulates bone mass, muscle mass, production of red blood cells and sperm. Therefore, Virtusteron is used to supplement the body with the lack of testosterone.
What is Virtusteron injection used for?
- Virtusteron is used to increase the production of testosterone which is a natural substance that is produced in the body.
- Virtusteron helps in increasing the strength. Increase in strength may also enhance the performance.
- It is used for the growth and development of muscles, bones and genitals. It is also used for the normal sexual development in boys.
- Virtusteron is also used for the treatment of certain types of breast cancers in women.
- It helps in reducing the growth of cancer in the body.
- It is used for the treatment of primary hypogonadism and delayed puberty.
How do Virtusteron injections act?
Virtusteron contains a single large ester based testosterone compound which possesses androgenic and anabolic properties. The ester is attached to the hormone and this attachment helps in controlling the active duration and the total release time of the hormone. The ester remains attached to the hormone until the drug is injected into the body. The testosterone hormone gets activated only when the ester gets detached from the hormone. On theadministration of Virtusteron, the ester begins to get detached from the hormone and this is a slow process, it does not happen at once. The ester slowly gets detached and releases the active hormone into the body.
Once Virtusteron is injected, a sharp spike is observed in the levels of testosterone within the first 24 to 48 hours of administration. Then on, the hormone gets continuously separated and spreads throughout the body. Virtusteron carries a half-life of 7 to 8 days and therefore administration of one injection is recommended every week or once in 10 days.
Available forms of Virtusteron
The injectable form of Virtusteron is an oily solution that is given intramuscularly and is available as 250mg dosage.
How to take Virtusteron injections?
The recommended dosage of Virtusteron is 250mg which is administered intramuscularly once in every week. The dosage may vary depending on the person's requirements and condition. A higher dosage may be recommended for highly advanced athletes or sportsmen.
Virtusteron is mostly not recommended to enhance the performance or physique in women due to its strong androgenic nature and the difficulty to control the high blood levels. It is rarely recommended as a secondary medication for women suffering from breast cancer. This injection is recommended when all the other therapies have failed and an immediate suppression of the ovarian function may be necessary.
Warnings and precautions with the use of Virtusteron injections
- The patient should immediately inform the doctor before planning for a surgery, medical or dental care. The doctor should be immediately informedif the patient experiences nausea, vomiting, any kind of allergic reaction at the site of injection etc.
- Over dosage of the drug should not be taken as it may be harmful or the patient may experience some kind of side-effects or complications.
- Take the drug as prescribed by the doctor.
- The use of Virtusteron may affect the blood sugar levels in diabetic patients and therefore the blood sugar levels in diabetic patients should be monitored.
- Do not discontinue the use of Virtusteron unless told by the doctor
- Do not consume alcohol or use tobacco as it may increase the side effects of the drug.
- Virtusteron may increase the risk of heart attack or stroke and therefore immediately consult a doctor in case of symptoms such as pain or pressure on the chest, confusion, weakness on one side of the body, poor speech, vision problems etc.
- Women should be monitored for signs such as deepening of the voice, irregularity in the menstrual cycle, etc.
- The serum cholesterol concentrations should be monitored constantly as the use of Virtusteron may alter the serum cholesterol levels in the body.
- Patients with a history of myocardial infarction or coronary artery disease should keep a track of the medical condition as they may develop a few complications in case of over dosage of the drug.
Possible side effects of Virtusteron injections
The side effects of Virtusteron injections are:
- Oily skin
- Change in the color of the skin
- Loss of hair
- Unusual tiredness
- Shortness of breath
- Irregular heartbeats
Overdose and missed dose of Virtusteron injections
In case of an overdose or missed dose of Virtusteron, take the next scheduled dose when you remember. In case the timing is close to the next dose, it is advisable to skip the dose. Do not take two doses at the same time. Inform the doctor before administering the Virtusteron injection as an overdose or missed dose may develop a few complications or may increase the side effects of the drug.
- Pregnant and breast-feeding mothers should avoid the administering Virtusteron injections as it may cause adverse effects on the baby's health. Inform the doctor before you plan to stop administering the drug.
- Virtusteron injections are not recommended for children below 12 years of age as this may hamper their bone growth and the overall development of the body.
- Elderly people may be more sensitive to the side effects of Virtusteron such as an enlarged prostate gland, prostate cancer etc.